Tactics for “Pepluming” Dresses :)
Hello Everyone! I mentioned you about a contest managed by Philips Smart Irons together with BurdaStyle Magazine in Turkey, in my previous post “To Peplum or Not to Peplum?”. Having this in mind, and the unstoppable urge for sewing a peplum dress, left me with no choice for trying out my first peplums!
The contest was about altering any BurdaStyle dress or jacket patterns. Here’s the pattern I worked with: from BurdaStyle Mag. issue no.02/2012 no. 117.
I liked this pattern a lot. It lacks at couple of points but generally speaking I liked the way it looked on me. I definitely intend to use it again, with 3 color combination this time.
Since I was heavily occupied with “pepluming” a dress, I first changed the triangular cut at the skirt - top seam line. Obviously, if I had used the original version, I may well have ended up with a blossoming flower-like look!
In my previous post, I talked about the strategic importance of asymmetrical placing of the peplums on the waistband (a.k.a. peplums - a friend or a foe for pear shaped women!)
Having this in mind, I tried to get the best shape for my figure. So, first, I altered the triangular cut a bit.
I then finished the top of the dress with almost no alterations. The only difference from the original pattern was replacing the back zipper with a side invisible zipper.
As I have mentioned couple of times in my previous posts, I do think it is very unpractical to have back zippers in a dress, if you always have to get dressed in a hurry. Especially when you have a naughty 3 year old acting as if he’s shooting an energy drink commercial every time we intend to get out of home (!), you cannot glide around with a Grace Kelly glamour when getting dressed and wait for someone to zip your dress :D
So, as always, I put the zipper on the side…
This was an interesting top to sew. At first, it takes you sometime to comprehend which part goes where… And I had serious worries that the top looked very much like a straightjacket with my white fabric color choice, but in the end, it turned out fine :)
The side and back views…
After finishing the puzzle-like top, I started thinking about how to place the peplums in a strategical manner…
I first cut the fabric left from the skirt and stitched them together. I think, it’ll be enough to use a fabric (your hip size) x 1.5 to get a nice look. But if you like more exaggerated peplums feel free to lengthen it more!
I had to try couple of times on how it would look best on the dress. I finally decided on one look and pinned the peplum fabric on the skirt.
I stitched them carefully together and LOVED the way it turned out :D
Hmm… perhaps it doesn’t look the same on me compared to stick figured models, but I think the peplums can be flattering for pear-shaped as well :P
That’s it! It turned out to be a very comfy dress for me. I loved the cotton feeling, I loved the colors, and I loved my peplums. But it needs some good ironing! :D
However the contest may turn out, I loved the result already.
Happy spring to everyone!